Oct 16, 2012

It Happened To Me

I didn't see it when I was young and dumb.  I arrogantly and off-handedly dismissed all things Spiritual as drivel -  someone's idea of right and wrong, ultimately reduced to a long list of do's and don'ts.  

But, I have since discovered that the Christian walk is about something much bigger and better than that.  It is really about a deeply meaningful friendship.


And that friendship means this.  Every day of our lives, we rise to the presence of the Living Jesus.  As a result, we are never alone in any circumstance.  He shares with us, every challenge, every achievement, every fear, every joy - every milestone and circumstance of any kind.  Thus, in all of our life experience, we enjoy a constant access to His divine companionship.


And, through this shared life experience, He provides to us a truly empowering synergy with which to face life's challenges.  He enlightens us with perspectives which move us beyond the smallness of our self.  And, as any true friend would, He sometimes confronts us and becomes insistent - in our best interest.  


And, it is true.  I have never seen my divine Friend.  Indeed, He is normally entirely invisible to the physical eye.  But, that has no real impact on our friendship; because, it is not through the physical eye that we come to know God on this most intimate level.  Instead, there is an "inner sight" which allows us to see Him very clearly in ways that the physical eye never could.    

This is an entirely new inner sensitivity, which Christ awakens in the heart of devout believers.  It is essentially a very  heightened God awareness.  And, indeed, this new level of simply knowing enables the believer to move far beyond the limitations of the totally unsuited physical senses to finally experience a true daily intimacy with God in a deeply meaningful friendship. 

So, through this inner awareness, we are now able to perceive the full spectrum of the dynamics of our relationship with God.  We can now sense His relevant thoughts, His demeanor, and even the unspoken whispers of His heart, as is and should be normal to any deeply vested relationship. 

Thus, the physical senses are made largely irrelevant to the divine friendship by this internal sense of sight.  Why do we need to physically see, when we can simply know?   


I understand that many balk at such ideas.  Indeed, as did I, many people arrogantly dismiss anything they cannot perceive and verify through the physical senses.  But, when we taste the wonderfully pure and simple essence of God's loving companionship, we quickly cease to be one of those people.   At least - I did.

"A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 

 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."  - Jesus